Fall 2021





Marguerite Rau Belyea, of Allentown, Pennsylvania, on June 27, 2021.

Marlou was born in the California desert, the daughter of Allan Rau and Louise LaRue, pioneer homesteaders on the Coachella Valley with a date ranch and farm, on September 11, 1926. They lived at least a mile from her nearest neighbors. Her brother, Allan, and her sister, Caroline, were her playmates, with their ponies. They played horse tag between the cactus and mesquite. Pioneering neighbors Dickie and Eddie Elliot set up a tent school, calling it Desert Sun. Desert Sun would move from the desert floor to the cool mountains above. Her parents got a cabin nearby in Idyllwild and would truck the ponies up. Poor farmers paid the tuition in vegetables and chores, and Marlou contributed by tutoring the younger students. Marlou met her husband, Robert Belyea, in Idyllwild while he was on leave from Caltech’s Navy program. She would go to public high school in the Coachella Valley, but the Elliots got her a full scholarship at a private school, Girls Collegiate, in Pomona. She then went to college there at Scripps College. Her protective mother moved the family to a rental home in Pomona. Her younger brother would go on to Stanford, and her sister followed him there. Right after her graduation, she and Bob Belyea married. They moved east so he could work as an electrical engineer in the family business, Belyea Electric Company, where he rose to become its president for 60 years. For 45 of those years, they lived on an old Dutch farm in Pompton Plains, New Jersey, where she and her youngest daughter, Carolyn Belyea, raised and trained Arabian horses. She would bring two of those horses with her when they moved to Easton, Pennsylvania, where Bob opened up new operations for the Belyea company. Bob and Marlou were excellent tennis players, swimmers, and horseback riders. They loved swing dancing and could put on a show well into their 80s. Book clubs and bridge clubs filled out their social life. Bob died in 2011. Marlou vigorously volunteered in Pompton Plains and Easton. She was president and an active member of the League of Women Voters and the American Association of University Women. In Easton, she volunteered at the Northampton County Historical Society as a docent and gave papers at the Fortnightly Club. She worked for various causes, such as senior citizens’ housing and women’s rights, supporting the first woman to run for governor of New Jersey and becoming her aide. Marlou was the first woman to be elected to the Pompton Plains town council and the first female mayor. In Easton, she nominated herself to the Northampton Democratic Committee and won. After that, she got hundreds of votes to stay on the committee and continued her work for women candidates and rights. She worked to get a Public Health Department for the county. Marlou is survived by two of her children, Carolyn Zecherle of Novato, California, and Marlou Belyea Taylor of Berkeley, California. A third daughter, Wendy Belyea Coombs, died of ALS in 2010. Wendy’s daughter Nichole survives, with three children, Ravenne Ongpauco and Vienna and Sophie Hockabout, and stepson Nick Ongpauco. Wendy also had two stepchildren, Alexis and Adrian Coombs, and Adrian has a daughter, Aliyah. Daughter Marlou Taylor has two children, Danielle and James Taylor. Daughter Carolyn has one daughter, Alicia Zecherle.





Hildegarde Mills Fullinwider Byington Tenison, of Dallas, Texas, on June 21, 2021.


Hildegarde Mills Fullinwider Byington Tenison died peacefully in her bed on June 21, 2021. Hilde was born on August 12, 1927, to James T. Mills, MD, and Rosemary Zonne Mills, in Grand Rapids, Michigan. She was the oldest of four children. Hilde shared fond childhood memories of spending summers at her grandmother’s house on Christmas Lake, with ponies and puppies for playmates. The family eventually located to Dallas, Texas. Dr. Mills was a Captain in the US Navy, and when Hilde was a young girl, the family moved to California so that he could share his surgical skills during World War II. Returning to Dallas after the war, Hilde attended Highland Park High School. She met and married Chester Arnold Fullinwider, Jr., on April 30, 1948. Hilde attended Scripps College and graduated from SMU with a teaching degree; she taught at Obediah Knight Elementary School. Hilde and Chester had four children, James, John, Margaret, and Lisa. Hilde was active in her community, serving as President of the F. P. Caillet Elementary School PTA three years in a row. She always found ways to enjoy life, from laughing and lunching with her beloved friends, The “J’s,” to socializing and playing tennis with her high school friends. After 27 years of marriage to Chester, Hilde met and married Donald M. Byington from Bassett, Nebraska. The two spent the next 26 years traveling and collecting Southwestern Indian artifacts. At one point, their house was so full of memorabilia, her children jokingly suggested they charge admission to their “museum.” Hilde loved anything and everything that represented Native American heritage. She enjoyed family vacations in Santa Fe as a girl, and she loved traveling throughout the Southwest. Her first grandchildren were born during these years, and she took on the role with great happiness, sharing what seemed like an ever-refreshed fountain of love with each new arrival. In 2005, Hilde was reunited with her high school sweetheart, the “love of her life,” J. C. Tenison, and at ages 79 and 81, respectively, Hilde and J. C. were married on June 10, 2006. They spent the next four years loving and caring for each other. Hilde was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease in 2011. Throughout her condition, she continued to live life to the fullest and to the best of her ability; her wit and charm were ever present. She was a beautiful person, inside and out, and she will be dearly missed by her family and friends. Hilde was preceded in death by her parents, her brother James T. Mills, Jr., her sister Diana M. Blackburn, and her three devoted husbands. Hilde is survived by her sister Rosemary Mills Coats and her children: James A. Fullinwider and Claire Fenton, John H. Fullinwider and Sandy Rollins, Margaret Fullinwider O’Neill and John O’Neill, and Lisa Fullinwider. Hilde was adored by her grandchildren: Peter Fullinwider, Rachael Fullinwider, Isaac Fullinwider, Emma Fullinwider, Mark Allen Bryan, Jr., Angela O’Neill Sierp, Jacqueline O’Neill Ozcelik, John Michael O’Neill, Kathleen O’Neill Oswald, Caroline O’Neill, Matthew Gaskill, Aaron Gaskill, and Haley Gaskill. Hilde was also the very proud great-grandmother of 13 great-grandchildren. The family wishes to thank all of the beautiful souls who cared for Hilde during her last few years. Her family is forever grateful for the loving care she received from everyone. 





Nancy Streator Reuling-Hardy, of Salt Lake City, Utah, on June 11, 2021.

Nancy was born on December 16, 1929, in Salt Lake City, Utah, to Frank Barton Streator and Frances Wolcott (Cloud) Streator. She attended Rowland Hall School for girls and then attended Scripps College from 1947 to 1950. She received her bachelor’s degree in anthropology from the University of Utah in 1972. With an excitement for life and people, she was the ninth woman to run the Colorado River, in 1947. She then traveled most of the world. She became a pilot to help her father fly when he developed detached retinas. From there she became a commercial pilot, charter pilot, flight instructor, and then chief flight instructor for many years. She worked as a flight examiner for the FAA and was chairman of the board at the Utah State Aeronautics Commission. Nancy was also a member of the Ninety-Nines, a women’s flying club, the Utah Pilots Association, and the Town Club. She flew in the Powder Puff Derby. She was listed as a noteworthy pilot by Marquis Who’s Who. Nancy married Richard Kariher Reuling in 1950, divorced in 1969, and later married J. Malin Hardy, now deceased. Nancy is survived by her three children, Richard Kahrier Reuling Jr. (Margaret), Frank Barton Reuling (Georgia), and Edward Kendall Reuling, as well as six grandchildren, Sydney Elizabeth Reuling, Jennifer Brooke Reuling, Benjamin Edward Reuling, Katherine Marie Reuling, Jacob Richard Reuling, and Emma Cloud Reuling. 




Constance Anne Perkins, of Albuquerque, New Mexico, on July 5, 2021.


Constance Anne, an advocate for residents of East Harlem and a children’s and religious books publicist who enjoyed the opportunities to work with Dorothy Day, Thomas Merton, Abraham Heschel, and Martin Luther King, Jr., died at the age of 90. A native of Santa Monica and graduate of Scripps College, Anne moved to New York as a young woman, where she worked in the religious books division of Harper. She then served on the staff and board of Union Settlement, one of the earliest and largest settlement houses in the city, providing education, health services, senior services, youth development, childcare, counseling, and economic development programs for East Harlem. During the Carter administration, Anne served as Director of Intergovernmental & Congressional Affairs for the New York region in the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare. Later in her career, in addition to doing fundraising and public relations for several smaller organizations, she earned a master’s degree in divinity and served as a hospital chaplain. Anne, a world traveler, was most at home in her adopted New York. In her almost 60 years in the city, she regularly hosted her siblings, parents, nine nephews and nieces, twelve great-nephews and nieces, many cousins, and godchildren on visits to Manhattan and for plays and concerts. A devout Episcopalian, Anne attended St. Bartholomew’s Church on Park Avenue. She was preceded in death by her three siblings, Walter Perkins, Ronald Perkins, and Mary Perkins King. Anne moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico, in 2012 to be closer to family. She enjoyed her time living at Atria Vista Del Rio Senior Living Community. Anne spent the quarantine year at The Retreat, a loving and caring community.





Janet Gillett, of Oakland, California, on April 30, 2021.


Janet Gillett was born in 1931 at Oakland Children’s Hospital, a fourth-generation Californian. She grew up in Crockett, California, and graduated from Scripps College and Armstrong Business School in Berkeley. She worked for Crown Zellerbach in San Francisco before moving to the US Department of State. Her first tour of duty was in what was known as the Belgian Congo, where boiling water and checking shoes for centipedes was the norm. She worked in the US Foreign Service for the rest of her career, including the Belgian Congo, Ecuador, Japan, Great Britain, Malaysia (a favorite), Austria, Tunisia, and Washington, DC. She held lifelong friendships, served as a deacon in the now merged Walnut Creek Episcopal Church, and was a beloved presence in her Walnut Creek Tiffany Court assisted living home. She loved doing crosswords and the jumble with her brother, Tom. She was an accomplished pianist and played an hour each day up to a month before her death. She is survived by her brother, Tom Gillet, and wife Carol of San Mateo, and niece Nicole Gillett Wolfe and husband Drew Wolfe of San Francisco, as well as extended family in the Oregon, Corning/Red Bluff, Virginia areas.







Peggy Hays Kingman, of Sonora, California, on January 18, 2021.



Peggy, a Tuolumne County social activist who received the 2020 Laurie Aretsky Bailie Social Justice Award from the Motherlode Martin Luther King Jr. Committee, died from natural causes at her home in Sonora. “She was very passionate about social justice and civil rights. That’s always been very important to her,” said her daughter, Shelley Abruzzini, 58, of Tigard, Oregon. “I think it was innate to her personality.” From the time when she was a child, Abruzzini remembers her mother carrying a stack of gift cards in the center console of her car or in her purse. They would be driving around Hollister, in Oakdale or even in Sonora when her mother was in her 80s, and she would hand them out to the homeless who might be on the side of the road. “That was really important to her, even then,” Abruzzini said. “That was part of her carrying package, whether it was her car or my car. She wanted to be prepared for that.” Kingman was the founder of multiple activist organizations in California: Hollister in Black (an Iraq invasion protest group); the Coalition for Compassion, which sent money to Iraqi families impacted by the war; and the Tuolumne County Human Relations Alliance, a short-lived group intended to counter racism and discrimination in the county. She advocated for peace poles in Courthouse Square (which did not come to fruition), but she was successful in having one installed at St. Patrick’s Church in Sonora. She was also a member of the Motherlode Martin Luther King, Jr. Committee for five years and served breakfast weekly at St. Patrick’s Church for 10 years. MLK Committee member Vonna Breeze-Martin, 77, of Sonora, remembers Kingman for her abiding optimism, embodied in an oft-repeated quote from the British spiritual mystic from the 1300s, Julian of Norwich: “All shall be well. All manner of things shall be well.” “She was so wonderful and so big hearted in so many ways,” Breeze-Martin said. “She was very spiritual. She often said to me when we would talk about difficult times, she was very optimistic and open and wanting to be of service, wanting to do the right thing.” Kingman was the first recipient of the MLK Committee’s award after it was renamed for a member who passed. Breeze-Martin said she would remember Kingman as a mentor and one of her dearest friends. “She felt this pull or this draw to help communities in need,” Breeze-Martin said. “I think she just spent her life that way. She was a very deep-thinking person and very contemplative about things. We had wonderful talks out on her veranda.” Breeze-Martin said the MLK Committee’s annual event honoring the late civil rights icon was not held this year due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. When Kingman received her award, she was recognized for her “point of awakening” at eight years old, when the United States had just entered into World War II. Kingman remembered the black-and-white newsreels of concentration camp victims and starving children and feeling complicit or guilty in the face of their suffering. She also remembered Japanese internment, when the Japanese sons and daughters of local strawberry farmers disappeared from school and never returned. In 1987, when Kingman was 54, she went to Nicaragua as a three-week witness for peace during the US-supported war against the Contras. A few years later, she went to a Guatemalan village with Habitat for Humanity and later raised money to pay school fees for village children. The program she founded still exists today. “She moved to this county and she immediately got involved,” said her friend Pat Cervelli, 77, of Tuolumne. “She was an activist most of her life, and she was a very spiritual person, and I think she directly connected her spirituality to working for social justice in the world.” Cervelli said they first met in 2006 through an organization called Tuolumne County Citizens for Peace. She said she would remember Kingman as funny, well-read, and smart. “She was always her own person,” Cervelli said. “And it was fitting, in a way, she died on the MLK holiday.”


Kingman was born in New Jersey on November 27, 1933, and traveled throughout the US at a young age with her father, a photographer, before he set up his shop in Pasadena, Abruzzini said. She met her husband, Stuart Kingman, in seventh grade. Out of high school, she attended Scripps College and followed it with Stanford with Stuart Kingman. They married upon their graduation and lived in Palo Alto and the Portola Valley. She had seven children, in descending age order: Peg Kingman (who was born on her mother’s birthday), Kimberly Simoni, Sally Kingman, Shelley Abruzzini, Tony Kingman, and Joe Kingman. She and her husband both worked at Hewlett Packard, and later she raised the children, worked as a veterinary assistant, and cared for horses on their ranch south of Hollister near Pinnacles National Monument. It was their home there where she made the bulk of her memories as a mother and fostered her activism, working as an ecumenical minister through hospice, taking in infirm horses, and developing a campground for the federal land adjacent to their home. It was around the 2000s that Abruzzini remembers her mother becoming involved with various social justice committees in the Hollister area. In 2006, Peggy Kingman and her husband moved, after selling their ranch to the National Park system, to a 50-acre plot in Sonora near New Melones Reservoir. “They liked the country and terrain; it was very similar to the house they owned in Hollister,” Abruzzini said. “Since they’ve come here, they became involved. That was always something they both enjoyed, and they tinkered around here for the last 14 years. She was very passionate about it, and she found a group of people she felt really connected to.” Abruzzini said that Peggy was a constant volunteer at the David Lambert Community Drop-In Center, a building that she and her husband owned. “My mom was passionate for the homeless. That’s another thing that was super important to her,” Abruzzini said. Peggy Kingman is survived by her husband, Stuart Kingman, 87, who plans to continue to live in Tuolumne County, and their children, 14 grandchildren, four great-grandchildren, and one more great-grandchild on the way.






Mary Parson Welch, of Novato, California, on March 4, 2021.


Mary, loving wife and mother of 10, passed peacefully at home among her family, four days after her 87th birthday. Mary shared 60 wonderful years of marriage with her late husband, Vincent (Deke) Welch, before his passing in 2015. Mary was born in Santa Barbara, California, to Eric and Dorothy Parson. At a young age, her brother, Eric, preceded her. Attending Marymount School of Santa Barbara, Mary enjoyed an active youth. She could often be found riding her horse through the hills of Santa Barbara and to the beach at Carpinteria. Her future began to unfold when she met Deke, who had recently joined the English teaching staff at the Cate School. Following her studies at Scripps College, the two married in 1954 and settled in Port Washington, New York. In 1960, Mary and Deke returned to California with four young children in tow. They settled in San Rafael, where they soon welcomed their fifth child, and then five more. The Welch household was always a beehive of activity. Dinnertime was the occasion to gather and share lively discussions. As the children matured and left for college or other pursuits, Sunday Night Supper was born, a tradition that endured until recent years and grew to include their growing families and often friends. In addition to being the mother of 10, Mary had the energy and drive to pursue other ventures. She was a member of the 1980-81 Marin County Civic Grand Jury and shortly thereafter joined the board of directors of Buckelew Programs, which became a major focus of her life. Buckelew, a nonprofit agency, annually serves nearly 10,000 people with mental health and addiction problems in the North Bay. With a broad knowledge of art, born of her youth in the Santa Barbara art community, Mary conceived the idea of establishing an exhibit and sale of Marin County landscape art to benefit Buckelew. She became co-founder and managing director of MarinScapes, staged annually at Escalle Winery in Larkspur from 1988 through 2020. The popular event became a significant source of funding for the agency and for the many fine artists whose work was featured. It also fulfilled its mission to educate the public about mental health, thus reducing the stigma surrounding this important issue. Prior to joining the Buckelew Board, Mary was the purchasing director for Dominican College, now Dominican University. Computers were just coming into general use, but the purchasing department had not arrived at that level. Tracking inventory with manual entries in ledgers, Mary centralized the institution’s order and delivery systems. An early passion for outdoor adventure that began in childhood included summers spent in Maine and later blossomed into annual family vacations spent in the Trinity Alps, a five-decade legacy that continues to this day. Mary cherished her time with family and friends and often combined her love of travel with those closest to her. Family trips to Greece, Spain, and Hawaii were thoughtfully planned with the perfect balance of historical sightseeing and family time, filled with love and laughter. On one of their many sojourns to Europe, Mary, Deke, and close friends had the honor to attend an intimate Mass and reception with Pope John Paul II in his private chapel at the Vatican. A devout Catholic and member of St. Sylvester’s Parish for more than 60 years, Mary considered this one of her life’s highlights. Mary is survived by her proudest achievements, her children: Eric, Deke Jr., Peter (Lizz), and Chris Welch (Tory), all of San Rafael; Helen Welch (Jim Reardon) of San Juan Capistrano; Kate Mangan (Peter) of San Diego; Dorothy MacDougald and Mike Welch (Cecilia) of Novato; and Clare Devereaux (David) of Alamo. Her beloved son Martin (Grace) preceded her in death in August 2020. She leaves 22 grandchildren, one great-grandson, and her loving nephew Vincent Patrick Straub and his family. Mary was gracious, good-humored and interesting, which made very good company for all who knew her. A loving wife, devoted mother and grandmother, and loyal friend, she will be missed.






Alice Betts Carpenter, of Pomona, California, on July 18, 2021.


Alice, resident of Mt. San Antonio Gardens in Pomona, wife of Charles Carpenter, and longtime friend of The Claremont Colleges, died peacefully at the age of 85 after contending with dementia for several years. Born on November 7, 1935, and raised in Long Beach, the daughter of Fredrick and Dorothy Betts, Alice spent childhood summers in Big Timber, Montana, and Mt. Baldy, California. One of her first jobs while in high school was as a professional gift wrapper, imparting skills that brought a special panache to many subsequent family Christmases. She graduated from Scripps College (BA, philosophy, 1957), married Charles Carpenter, and brought three sons into this world. When her boys were (almost) done being babies, she went back to university for an advanced degree in British literature (MA, UCLA, 1967). During her professional career, she lived and taught in Bakersfield, California, and North Haven, Connecticut, where she also worked as assistant to the editor for the Journal of Experimental Psychology at Yale. In the 1970s, she came back to Claremont, serving at Scripps College as director of alumnae relations and secretary to the Board of Trustees from 1977 until 1997. “Alice Carpenter was unstinting in her devotion to her husband and three sons, in each of whom she tried her best to cultivate an awareness of the world’s beauty in all its forms,” her family shared. “Epitome of grace, quick to make friends, but private in her core, Alice’s great passion (apart from her family) was her love of books and the friendships that spring from sharing ideas, preferably outdoors in the shade, with flowers but no bugs, plenty of food and drink for all.” She was a team player on family camping trips but no fan of roughing it. She played a decent game of tennis, though, and was a creative, discerning traveler who brought her native curiosity and literate eye to places far and wide. She trekked in the Himalayas—content to walk all day, so long as there were no big hills—and admired machicolated parapets on more than one Scripps alumnae trip to Europe. She was beloved for her eclectic culinary skills: tamale pie, grit soufflé on New Year’s morning, and an iconic mid-century tuna fish and potato chip casserole. A lover of the written word, she traded a possible life of scholarship for the monumental project of being an unfailingly good mom to three sons. In lieu of a literary career, she will be remembered for good-humored, razor-sharp little poems she’d dispense when the time was right and Christmas letters of understated wit and clarity. She is survived by Charles Carpenter, her husband of 64 years; brother Fredrick Betts of Atlanta; sons Chris, Paul, and David; and grandchildren Jack, Michael, Melanie, and Audrey.


Dorothy ‘Dori’ Louise Alderson Starkey, of San Diego, California, on January 27, 2021.


Dori was born July 16, 1935, in San Diego to Dorothy Louise McNeil Alderson and Winston Towle Alderson. She spent her first years in the Johnstown area near Lakeside; her family then moved to the Hillcrest area when her father, an engineer, began work at Ryan Aeronautical in San Diego. She attended Alice Birney Elementary School, Horace Mann Middle School, where she was class valedictorian, and San Diego High School, where she was involved in many activities and served as head cheerleader and art director of the yearbook. She cherished sports and regularly played softball, basketball, and tennis. She was an avid tennis player and fan until late in life. Equally at home in a studio and on the court, she went on to attend Scripps College on an academic scholarship, selecting it for the quality of its art program but lamenting the lack of a women’s basketball team. At Scripps, she worked with Phil Dike and Millard Sheets, and received the Nicholson Award for the study of art. She went on to graduate study at the Otis Art Institute in Los Angeles and further study in Mexico City. Dori met Craig Starkey while working at Alderson Jewelers in Hillcrest, and they were married in 1960. They moved to Chula Vista in 1962, and then to Rancho Santa Fe in 1971. Dori was devoted to the San Diego community and played an active role in many civic and charitable organizations including Las Madrinas, Junior League of San Diego, San Diego Museum of Art, San Diego Symphony Association, Children’s Hospital Auxiliary, National Charity League, Wednesday Club, and ZLAC Rowing Club. She resumed her art career in the late 1980s, joining the Market Street Group of artists, and opened a gallery in Rancho Santa Fe in 1990, which she operated until 2013. She found a mentor in the renowned Spanish impressionist painter, Sebastian Capella, who would inform her work until his death. During this time, she traveled extensively with Craig and gathered material for her paintings, which were exhibited widely including in an exhibition in Paris. Dori was instrumental in the founding of the Rancho Santa Fe Art Guild and was a member of the La Jolla Art Association. A woman of deep faith, she served for decades with the Altar Guild of St. Peter’s Church in Del Mar. Dori was an exceptional, engaging woman who exuded natural grace, genuine style, warmth, and charm with her welcoming smile and good word for all those who spent time with her. She had a sincere interest in others, a gift for listening, a sympathetic spirit, and also a keen sense of her own passions. A woman of many talents, Dori would attend social events, including the Charity Ball, often in formal attire, she made herself inspired by haute couture a skill she learned from her mother who made outfits from designs she found in Vogue. She was a devoted, encouraging mother, often described as “an angel on earth” who looked for the good in others and brought it out in them. She was blessed with a best friend for life in her twin sister, Donna, and had the affection and devotion of all her family. She is survived by her children Scott (Carrie) Starkey, Charles (Nicole) Starkey, and Kirsten Starkey (Todd) Telander, and grandchildren Miles Telander, Oliver Telander, Madeline Starkey, Abigail Starkey, and Emma Louise Starkey. She was preceded in death by her parents and sisters, Donna Alderson Abbey and Ann Alderson Cannon.







Sarah Foresman Ingram-Eiser, of Kansas City, Missouri, on June 24, 2021.


Sarah Frances was born in Akron, Ohio, daughter of Max W. Foresman and Virginia S. Foresman. She attended Sunset Hill in Kansas City and graduated from Scripps College. Sarah was a woman of many talents, many achievements, and many friends. She was a doting parent and grandparent. She was also fully involved in the worlds of politics, dance, music, the visual arts, and civic activism. If you were lucky enough to know her, and she had friends and associates from around the world, it was simply a matter of catching her between excursions to Uganda to study gorillas, to Nepal to repair monastery walls, to Europe to peruse master garden sites, to India (at age 82) to learn about music, dance, and ayurvedic medicine, and to Serbia, courtesy of the Department of State, where she helped establish the first democratic elections after the Bosnia-Herzegovina wars. Sarah was a social activist and political dynamo. A democratic election official in KCMO, she also campaigned tirelessly for Emanuel Cleaver and Claire McCaskill. She was on the board of Truman Medical Center and worked with suicide prevention groups. A Rockhill Homes Association officer, she also did surveys for the Historical Kansas City Westport Society. She was an active member of the Women’s Political Service Network, Ballet Guild, KC Moliere, and KC SAPP, to name a few. Sarah was a lifelong member of Grace & Holy Trinity Cathedral, and faith was one of the driving forces in her life. She was the consummate season ticket holder, and you could usually find her at performances by the Kansas City Ballet, the Friends of Chamber Music, the Harriman-Jewell Series, the Kansas City Symphony, Bach Aria Soloists, the Unicorn Theatre, Kansas City Repertory Theatre, the Musical Theater Heritage, Fringe Festival events, and a myriad of art openings. She also helped to promote numerous arts benefits, including Art of the Car for the Kansas City Art Institute. A great chef, Sarah was famous for the dinner parties she hosted at her art-filled home for anyone involved in the arts, and she loved introducing people from different fields to one another. She prepared everything herself, usually after shopping early in the morning at the downtown farmer’s market. Her house overflowed with orchids, which she learned to grow from her mother, Virginia. She was preceded in death by her husband, John Stover Ingram-Eiser. She and John had two children, Alexandra Ingram-Eiser Sifers (Timothy) and Adam Stover Ingram-Eiser (Grace). Her four grandchildren are Jackson Sifers, Connor Sifers, Benjamin Ingram-Eiser, and Tyler Ingram-Eiser, all of whom delighted her and made her very proud.






Pamela Haberland Jardine, of Princeton, New Jersey, on April 28, 2021.


Pamela, respected curator and advocate for Native American art and culture, passed away after a long battle with pancreatic cancer. Most recently, she helped revive one of Montclair Art Museum’s best-kept secrets with the reinstallation of the New Jersey museum’s Rand Gallery, which included new acquisitions of up-and-coming Indigenous artists. Last year, she curated the exhibit Virgil Ortiz: Odyssey of the Venutian Soldiers, which the New York Times heralded as a “Don’t Miss” art show. This innovative show blended science fiction and folk art as an educational tool about the 1680 revolt, when Indigenous people in today’s New Mexico drove out the Spanish colonizers. Previously, she played a leadership role at the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology (now called the Penn Museum). As the keeper of the American Section and the museum’s assistant director, she curated numerous major exhibits that toured the globe, including River of Gold: Pre-Columbian Treasures from Sitio Conte, which opened at the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art. She had a special love of cloth materials, as demonstrated with her shows The Gift of Spiderwoman: Southwestern Textiles at the Penn Museum and The Silent Language of Guatemalan Textiles at the Arthur Ross Gallery in Philadelphia. In the 1990s, Dr. Jardine oversaw all of the museum’s collections and produced numerous traveling exhibitions, including The Royal Tombs of Ur and Pomo Indian Basket Weavers: Their Baskets and the Art Market. She was responsible for the reinstallation of several galleries, including the Greek and the Near Eastern Galleries. She worked closely with Indigenous consultants on a long-term gallery installation that featured cultural perspectives of Native American peoples of the Southwest—the Hopi, Zuni, and Navajo. Posthumously, her work on the Blackfeet tribe will become an exhibit at the Penn Museum.


She was born Pamela Haberland on February 8, 1939, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Her father, John, was a surgeon and beloved family doctor, and her mother, Irene, was a spirited cultural force and co-founder of Edgewood Orchard Galleries in Fish Creek, Wisconsin. She attended Milwaukee Downer Seminary (now University School of Milwaukee), graduated from Scripps College, and earned her masters and PhD in American civilization from the University of Pennsylvania. She was a magnificent storyteller, gatherer of people, and kind spirit. Pamela is survived by her daughter and daughter-in-law, Shelley Hearne and Kathleen Welch, of Johns Island, South Carolina, her daughter and son-in-law, Alexandra and Doug Jackson of Hillsborough, New Jersey, and her two grandchildren, Zoe and Ella Jackson. She is further survived by her brother, Paul Haberland, and her sister and brother-in-law, Anne and Minnow Emerson, nephew Tucker Emerson (Anne) and family, and nieces Nell Jarosh (J.R.) and Ellen Kay (Eric) and their families. She treasured her time with family and friends in Fish Creek every summer. Her husband, William Jardine II, is deceased, as is her former spouse, Robert Hearne, and late-in-life companion, Dr. G. Leonard Apfelbach.



Rosemary Sheay Krehbiel, of San Juan Capistrano, California, on July 27, 2021.


A lifelong educator, Rosemary taught math at Greenfield Junior High and English composition at Grossmont College for decades in El Cajon, California. After growing up in Santa Ana, California, and graduating from Scripps College, she married Edward Krehbiel in 1960, and they raised two children, Nancy (Krehbiel) Brownell and John Krehbiel. Rosemary was a loving mother and an avid reader, often consuming a book a day in paperback or, later, on her ever-present Kindle. She was quick with a twinkling smile and an enthusiastic greeting for everyone she met. Rosemary was preceded in death by Edward in 1991, and she is survived by Nancy and John, their spouses, Michael and Cinsy, and her four grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.





Nancy Josephine Kretzer Mitchell, of South Reading, Vermont, on March 3, 2021.


Fellow classmate Susan Arnsberg Diamond ’61 has written this special remembrance:

“Our wonderful friendship continued all these years—she in Connecticut and Vermont, I in New York and now Virginia. I’m guessing no one in our class could forget Nancy—a born extrovert. As a New Yorker, she was one of few Easterners at Scripps, and she wore a fur coat over her nightgown to our early morning Humanities 1 classes on cold Claremont mornings. That alone, I think, makes her unforgettable, and in many ways, she didn’t change.” Nancy was born October 12, 1939, in New York City to Josephine and William Kretzer. She grew up in Great Neck, New York (Long Island), and attended Buckley Country Day School in Great Neck and Fox Hollow Boarding School in Lenox, Massachusetts. Nancy went on to attend Scripps College, eventually graduating from New York University with a degree in art history. In the summer of 1962, Nancy and her brother Fred threw a fabulous pool party at their parents’ home in Kings Point. Arriving late (after setting his car on fire on the Long Island Expressway with a poorly discarded cigarette), John Mitchell appeared at the party, and that, as they say, was it. Nancy and John were married less than a year later in a ceremony overlooking the New York skyline, surrounded by over 400 guests, many of whom, Nancy would later report, she barely knew. They moved into an apartment on Barrow Street in Greenwich Village, adopted two cats from the NYC ASPCA, and started their life together. In 1965, anticipating the arrival of their first child, they moved into an antique colonial (read: it needed work) in Stamford, Connecticut, where they would live for the next 35 years. Nancy took on this new life eagerly, working to gain the skills she would need. She became adept at child rearing, house decorating and painting, gardening, cooking, plumbing, and general repairs. The three acres afforded John the ability to adopt all manner of “pets,” and Nancy became primary caretaker to an assortment that included cats, dogs, peacocks, rabbits, geese, a goat, and two parrots, who all called that white colonial in the suburbs home. She loved all birds and had cockatiels and parakeets for most of her life. She also fed (and named) no fewer than 30 raccoons, who greeted her nightly at the back door in later years. As their children became more independent, Nancy began working at Turn of River Hardware part-time. She later spent a number of years at Southport Village Hardware, working with her dear friend Glen. She truly loved working in those stores, helping people in the community build and fix things. Sharing this knowledge with customers often morphed into true friendship. In 2000, Nancy and John moved to a 100-acre gentleman’s farm (read: far fewer animals) in Vermont and set about making it their own: remodeling, updating, and building, followed by countless hours of scouring antique stores and auctions, until it was just to their liking. These were perhaps the happiest adult years of Nancy’s life. She loved everything about Vermont and the “farm.”


Nancy was of another time, valuing appearance, a well-written thank-you note, a properly set table, and a beautiful room or garden. She was a storyteller with a wonderful ability to make others laugh. She did not know a stranger. She was an extrovert who filled every room and left all in her company better for the experience (perhaps a bit exhausted, but knowing they had had good food, good conversation, and many laughs). She adored her children and grandchildren. She took great pride in being a first-generation American and of achieving 36 years of sobriety. Nancy was predeceased by her parents (Jo and Bill Kretzer), husband (John), brother and very special sister-in-law (Fred and Carolyn Kretzer), brother-in-law (David Mitchell), and two nephews (William Kretzer and Paul Mitchell). She is survived by her children, Kim Mitchell of Maine and Sean (Terry) Mitchell of California, and their children, Kristina (Maine), Sydney, and Addison (California). She is also survived by her dear in-laws, Beverley and Peter Mitchell, sister-in-law Audrey (David) Mitchell and eight nieces and nephews and their families. Nancy had four lifelong friends who survive her: Lynne, Marcia, Bunny, and Susan. These four incredible women were her support, brought her laughter, kept her history, and resided in her heart for 65+ years.




Joanna Elinor Hamel Dunklee, of Torrance, California, on January 19, 2022.


Born in Long Beach, California, Joanna was a lifelong learner, world traveler, and devoted cat lover. She graduated in 1962 from Scripps College with a degree in history and stayed a faithful and generous supporter of her alma mater. In 1965, Joanna graduated from Cornell University with a Master’s in Education where she met her future husband, Alfred Lawrence Dunklee. She continued her education and earned a master’s in library science at the University of Southern California in 1968. Joanna went on to become a professional librarian at California State University, Dominguez Hills for 38 years where she was affectionately known as the “Professor of the Library.” As a student scholarship recipient while at Scripps, Joanna was pleased to be in a position to give back because she believed in “women giving back and supporting one another.” She was a familiar face at reunions and special events and had planned to visit France on the Scripps Travel Learning Program before the pandemic. Joanna is predeceased by her husband, Alfred.


Susan Woodbury Morris, of Sacramento, California, on January 24, 2021. 


Born in Covina, California, to Norman Earl and Elizabeth Van Ginkel Woodbury, Susan passed away in her home in Sacramento after fighting ovarian cancer for over a year and a half. Susan moved to Sacramento as a small child and lived there until the family moved to Davis in 1955, where she attended Davis High School until her graduation in 1958. That year she entered Scripps College, from which she graduated in 1962, and then began a two-year stint as a social studies teacher at Roseville High School. She then set out on a true adventure that would have an effect on her love of travel for the rest of her life. In 1974 Susan was promised a job as a teacher in Germany, and she showed up ready to teach only to be told that all of the faculty members had shown up for the next school year and there was no job for her. This did not stop her. As she was in Europe, she decided she would see as much of the continent as she could, so she began traveling from youth hostel to youth hostel with another woman. In Rome they met two other travelers who had a Volkswagen Van and were planning to drive it as far east as they could. They invited the two ladies to join them, and Sue and her companion were game to go. They then set out on a journey that eventually led them to New Delhi, India. In the course of that journey, they made a slight detour to Egypt to see the sights and otherwise drove through the Middle East up and over the Himalayas into Pakistan and then India in 1965. This took them through many of the countries that are in the news frequently today. In Delhi, Susan got a teaching position and spent the next two years teaching at the American International School and traveling in her spare time throughout India. This led to a lifelong love of both India and travel, so much so that after she retired from teaching in California, she took her husband to India, where they visited the house she had rented as a teacher many years before. They were able to talk to the gentleman whose father owned it when she was living there, and he had childhood memories of her, as his father referred to her as the nice American who always paid her rent on time. She was also able to visit her school and the classroom where she taught.


Following the two years in India, she returned home to Sacramento in 1967, where she went to work at the California Legislature as an assistant to Assemblyman Leo Ryan. By 1970 she decided to return to teaching, and she took a position with the Sacramento City Unified School District, as a teacher and then a counselor in middle schools. She held positions as a counselor at Goethe, Fern Bacon, and Sam Brannon Middle Schools. She had already obtained one master’s degree, and in the early 1970s she obtained a second one while teaching in Sacramento. On December 29, 1984, Susan married William Morris, and they began a wonderful marriage of 36 years. Fortunately, the two of them enjoyed the same things: travel and classical music. They traveled throughout the world to the point where Susan had visited over 110 countries throughout her life. Some of their travel involved trips to opera houses and symphony halls. Susan was originally the opera lover and Bill was the orchestra lover, but they both ended up loving what the other loved originally. Susan liked opera so much that she held San Francisco Opera annual series tickets for 50 years. Susan is survived by her husband, Bill, sister Karen Woodbury, brothers John and Steve Woodbury, numerous nieces and nephews, and some very good friends.






Littlepaige Wemple, of Charlottesville, Virginia, on January 12, 2021. 

Littlepaige Wemple was preceded in death by her parents, William Wemple and Dorothea Dutcher (DiDi) Wemple. Paige was born in New York City and grew up in Scarsdale, New York. She graduated from Scarsdale High School and attended Scripps College, where she studied music. She went on to receive her master’s and doctorate degrees in music education from Columbia Teachers College in New York. She also became a member of MENSA. Paige was passionate about family, music, and books. She was an accomplished pianist, an avid reader, and the de facto family archivist. She had a wide range of interests and experiences and applied her myriad talents successfully in many areas, beginning early on, when she was piano accompanist for her award-winning high school choral group. She also choreographed, directed, designed costumes for, and starred with her sisters in a synchronized swimming arrangement performed to the music of Dave Brubeck’s avant-garde and difficult 7/4-meter “Unsquare Dance,” creating a tour de force of musical and aquatic brilliance. She was a Mariner Scout, later crewing aboard Windjammer Cruises, and after college she traveled, first moving to Nassau, Bahamas, where she worked as a legal assistant and took up scuba diving, and then to Lahaina, Hawaii, where she managed a local gift shop and where her natural curiosity led her to study the Hawaiian language, history, and customs and learn hula. Her life was filled with countless varied and interesting studies and endeavors. Finally settling in Charlottesville to be near her elderly father, Paige indulged her passion for reading and her interest in music by joining a local Gamelan musicians’ group. She devoted her time and energy as caregiver to her father during his end-of-life illness, and then as a caregiver to others in the community in recent years. Paige is survived by her sisters Holland Wemple-Gerke and her husband Dieter, Leslie Jones and her husband Evan, Wendy Wemple, Stephanie Corbell, and Liana Holm; by her brother William Wemple and his wife Sylvia; and by several nieces, nephews, and cousins. She also leaves numerous friends. In addition, the family of Littlepaige Wemple extends their heartfelt thanks to the Westgate neighbors and staff members who knew her. Many have shared their fond remembrances of Paige’s friendship and many kindnesses. She will be missed.







Susan Dinkle Lindley, of Claremont, California, on June 20, 2021.


Susan was born on March 1, 1945, in Albuquerque, New Mexico, into a family centered in the arts and service to community. Her mother, Mary Virginia “Ginny,” was an accomplished actress, gardener, and a supervisor of the Federal Arts Project in New Mexico. Her father, Clifford “Tip,” was a renowned swing musician (“Little Roamers”), art collector, and benevolent banker. Growing up, Susan and her older brother, Stephen, embraced the rich culture, history, and natural world of New Mexico. When she left home to attend Scripps College in 1963, she carried along her family’s passion for the arts and compassion for others, as well as deep and lasting connections to the Land of Enchantment. Shortly before graduating from Scripps, she married Haines Lindley, a graduate of Claremont Men’s College (now Claremont McKenna). They divorced amicably in 1973. She majored in painting and art history, yet as a student of Scripps’ superb Humanities Program, she gained extensive knowledge and perspective, “a grounding in the wider world and its works,” that her family shared. This education enabled her to both develop herself and her art and to mentor others in many capacities. Finding her way, she worked variously as a social worker, teacher, printmaker, studio manager, art gallery and museum director, photographer, fundraiser, consultant, and, finally, program coordinator of the Graduate Art Department at Claremont Graduate University. In all of these roles, she exemplified her family’s fundamental, overriding characteristics—a life in the arts and consideration for others.Her professional life is best summed up by these words from Linda Fisher, CGU student: “I wish to make a special comment on Susan Lindley. As I’ve progressed in the program, the strength of her personal skills continually surfaces. She treats visitors, students, and special guests with equal attention and respect. She is intuitive, wise, articulate, knowledgeable, and gracious. When small problems arise in the department, her ability to mediate prevents further friction. The present and near-future needs of the students are met through her organizational skills. I am grateful to have her influence on my academic career.” To her myriad friends, she was a treasured, fun, aware pal and confidante, always ready to share a laugh, story, insight, or comforting words. Time after time, she graciously opened her small stone house—“sleeps 15”—when former classmates, colleagues, or students were in town. A Founding Mother of Camp Scripps, Susan hosted many weekend planning sessions for the Creative Caucus, especially during its initial development, and up to the present. Staying there was enchanting in so many ways. She artfully planted her garden with a mix of native and historic species, all welcoming to birds and beneficial insects. Through simple materials, hard work, and exceptional talent, she gradually transformed the interior of this granite-boulder, red-tile-roofed house into a magical geode. With her eye, each room became a cabinet of delights in which the container was as marvelous as the contained. Every visit revealed surprising discoveries. Her family and beloved cats preceded her in death. She leaves behind legions of grieving friends, classmates, and colleagues. Once upon a time, she took on the role of “fairy” godmother to two young boys, Xander and Willi Campbell. She was much a part of their lives growing up and now, they will carry her and her family’s values forward.





Margaret Ishiyama Raffin, of San Francisco, California, on April 3, 2021.


Elegant, kind, and generous, Margaret wrapped her arms around a universe of family, friends, and colleagues, enveloping all with love and support. She drew countless people into her sphere, where many regarded her as a confidante and kindred spirit. Her exceptional grace was inherited from her mother, Setsuko, and her clear-eyed approach to problem-solving came from her father, George. She was petite in stature but commanded an outsized influence: a keen and perceptive observer of human nature, she identified where there was need and set about filling it. She died at home, unexpectedly but peacefully, in her sleep. Margaret, like her parents, was born in Southern California. Setsuko and George—who were incarcerated with other loyal Japanese Americans during World War II­—modeled a philosophy of responding to adversity with dignity and perseverance, looking ahead and resolutely doing what was required. Their emphasis on education and civic responsibility provided guiding principles for Margaret’s life. When she was five, Margaret moved to Palo Alto with her family. She graduated from Palo Alto High School and attended Scripps College before transferring to and graduating from Stanford University. In 1969, Margaret married fellow Stanford student Tom Raffin. Soon after, when Tom was in medical school, Margaret became a medical social worker at Stanford Hospital. She held the same position at Brigham and Women’s Hospital while Tom completed his residency in Boston. There she met terrific colleagues and formed friendships that lasted more than a half-century. In both hospitals, she dealt with a challenging range of patients, beginning a lifelong commitment to mental health advocacy that motivated her to earn a master’s degree in psychology and work as a therapist. Tom and Margaret returned to Palo Alto, where their daughter, Elizabeth (“Lizzy”), was born. Lizzy was particularly close to her mother, who taught her the importance of knowing rules and also when to break them. Together they had mischievous fun, cultivated and sustained a loving community of friends across generations, and moved through life with a shared set of instincts and values. Margaret’s dedication to her family was unparalleled. Over the course of her life, she cared for her grandparents and then her parents and aunt with devotion and compassion. After they passed, she continued to honor their traditions and carried on their legacy of gathering family members, often around the dining table. On weekends and holidays, Margaret set additional places—and sometimes whole tables—to host a village of friends and extended family. She created a second home for newcomers and welcomed back Lizzy’s childhood and college friends and, eventually, their children. She was an extraordinary cook and honed her skills by taking lessons from then-unknown French chef Jacques Pépin. She treated those at home to recipes from class, such as her much-loved semolina with raspberries. Some of Margaret’s closest relationships were with beloved members of the Yokouchi family on Maui. Spanning more than 50 years and four generations, her bond with the Yokouchis drew her to the island, where she was an integral part of the community. Margaret became a trustee of the Maui Arts and Cultural Center and was an ardent champion of its efforts to preserve and promote Hawaiian culture. As president of the Ishiyama Foundation, Margaret collaborated with family members to support a broad range of causes, including education and the environment. On frequent trips to Japan, she maintained her family’s strong connection to their Japanese heritage, often visiting the Yonezawa Higashi Senior High School, which her paternal grandmother had attended. There she saw firsthand the impact of the family foundation’s philanthropy on students, programs, and facilities. Another of Margaret’s special interests was nurturing young leaders, which she did by empowering visionaries to develop compelling programs. Nothing demonstrated her passion for advancing leadership capacity more than her longtime relationship with the African Leadership Group. She and Lizzy traveled to visit and celebrate the African Leadership Academy in Johannesburg, where she maintained lasting friendships with students and school administrators. Margaret served on numerous boards, committees, and councils for Stanford. She was insightful, intuitive, and strategic—an expert and greatly appreciated convener. Most notably, in 2013 she helped establish the Stanford Medicine Community Council, dedicated to community outreach, and was appointed as its chair. She spent countless hours in planning and strategy meetings and is credited with single-handedly building and cementing relationships within the 30-member group—getting together with each person individually every year—to create a productive, cohesive unit. She led by example, volunteering at the annual Health Matters event, and worked to leverage resources across the university. Margaret was also an active and valued member of the Stanford Hospital and Stanford Health Care boards of directors. In addition, she held positions supporting Stanford Athletics, the Haas Center for Public Service, and the School of Earth, Energy & Environmental Sciences. She had clarity that enabled her to be a quietly effective leader in pursuing these and all her endeavors. In 2016, Margaret received the Stanford Associates Governors’ Award in recognition of her long, exemplary service to the university. Margaret lived with style and intention—and she had a lot of fun while at it. Those acquainted with the more professional Margaret were delighted when her aura of reserve gave way to unselfconscious laughter at a good joke (often one she made herself). Among friends and family, her simple joys included berry picking, hiking, tennis, and working in and enjoying her lovely garden. Summer horse pack trips in Montana’s Spanish Peaks took Margaret into pristine surroundings with cherished family and friends. She was confident in the saddle, comfortable in a tent, and perhaps happiest sitting around a campfire. She spent time fly-fishing in and around Yellowstone National Park, including the family’s home water on the Henry’s Fork near Island Park, Idaho. This connection led her to join the board of the National Parks Conservation Association to work enthusiastically on behalf of national parks throughout the United States. Those who loved Margaret are forever changed—and improved—for having known her. Preceded in death by her parents, George and Setsuko Ishiyama, and sister Dorothea Ishiyama, Margaret is survived by daughter Elizabeth Raffin (Scott Yates and children Logan and Samantha Yates), sister Patricia Ishiyama, brother Nelson Ishiyama (Terrie McDonald), niece Julia Ishiyama (David Hoyt), and former husband Dr. Tom Raffin.







Sharon Diehnelt Groth, of Seabrook, Texas, on February 16, 2021.


Sharon was born in Mobile, Alabama, on September 29, 1947, to the late Dick and Ann Diehnelt. She received a degree in philosophy from Scripps College and later went on to receive a law degree from the University of Houston. While in Texas, she started a law firm dedicated to labor-employment law, ultimately being admitted and qualified as an attorney and counselor of the United States Supreme Court. From advocating passionately for her clients in her career as an attorney, to being a needlepoint master, to tearing around Texas in her Chevy Corvettes, she was one fierce, intelligent, and independent woman. She is survived by her brother David Diehnelt of Phoenix, Arizona; sister Andrea (Mike) Hall of Charlotte, North Carolina; nephew David (Brittani) Hall and grandnephew Dylan Hall of Mableton, Georgia; and numerous cousins and friends.




Andrea Lynn Bolden Grant, of Sacramento, California, on January 4, 2021.


Andrea, after a long illness, passed away peacefully in her sleep at the age of 69. Andrea was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She was the daughter of Willard and Norma Bolden. Lynn’s father was in the Air Force and the family traveled from base to base before finally settling in Fairfield, California, in 1966. Lynn attended and graduated from Vanden High School in Fairfield. She received an academic scholarship to Scripps College, graduating with a BA in American literature. She then received a teaching credential at the University of California, Santa Barbara. Lynn ultimately decided to pursue a career in law, attending Golden Gate University School of Law in San Francisco. After passing the bar, she worked at the California Department of Mental Health until 1995, when she moved to the Office of Legal Affairs at the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, working in various legal departments and retiring in 2014. Lynn also served in the Air Force Reserve, working as a base public defender with the Judge Advocate General Department. While attending college, Lynn met her future husband, Lloyd Grant, who was attending a college nearby. After getting married in May 1978, they eventually settled in the Sacramento area and went on to have two sons, Daryl and Darren. Lynn was always an avid reader, from the time she was in elementary school up to the time she became ill. Her brother remembers that whenever they went to the library, she would always check out several books at a time to his one. Lynn would read all her books and then start reading her brother’s books. Lynn liked to be active when she could. In the early years, she was quite the racquetball player. Later in life, she took up hiking and Zumba. And for the past five years, she has participated in two of her favorite races, the Kaiser Women’s Fitness Festival and the Urban Cow Half Marathon. Finally, one of her favorite pastimes was spending time with her young grandson. Lynn was preceded in death by her loving parents, Frank and Norma. She is survived by her husband, Lloyd, sons Daryl (Natasha) and Darren (Sarah), three brothers, Gerald (Linda), Brian (Maria), and Terence, one grandson, Karter Grant, and a host of nieces and nephews.




Josephine Hazen, of Seattle, Washington, on July 12, 2021, at age 67. 


Josie was born and raised in Seattle, the daughter of Chauncey Edward Hazen and Josephine Squires Hazen, both deceased. She was a graduate of Katherine Branson School in Ross, California, and Scripps College. Throughout her life, Josie pursued several great passions with joy, enthusiasm, and commitment. She worked as a travel agent for more than 30 years, helping her clients plan and enjoy vacations and business trips throughout the world. She herself visited more than 40 countries. Josie also was a dedicated volunteer at the Seattle Animal Shelter for almost 20 years, working in the “cat room” there every Sunday. She had, according to the Shelter, helped thousands of cats to succeed in new adoptive homes. Josie was the keeper of the family history. She always knew the obscure facts, funny stories, and genealogical history of both sides of the family tree. Books were also dear to Josie. She was a voracious reader, ever on the lookout for new books, while always making sure to read her favorite book, Pride and Prejudice, once a year. She was an active member of two book groups, sharing her love of literature with her friends in those groups. Josie is survived by her brother Cameron, his former wife Catherine, and their son, Spencer; her brother Ned, his wife Liz, their son, Adam Hazen, their daughter, Julia Hazen, her husband Zev Simpser, and Josie’s newly arrived grandnephew Ben. She also leaves numerous cousins and their children and grandchildren, with whom she enjoyed many family gatherings.




Anne Selle Spitzer, of Boston, Massachusetts, on July 28, 2021.


Anne was born in Stamford, Connecticut, in 1954 to Katharine and Robert Selle. She was the oldest daughter of six children, three girls and three boys. Robert’s work took the Selle family to Milwaukee for a few years before returning to Brookline, Massachusetts, where they settled in Katharine’s childhood home. Anne was a voracious reader with an appetite for world geography and history. She graduated from the Brimmer and May School and attended Bradford College for two years before transferring to Scripps College, where she majored in Asian studies with a focus on Japanese art. Her love of books steered her to the retail book business after graduating, working for Brentano’s in the Prudential Center before migrating to the publishing business as a sales representative covering parts of New England and New York State for Avon Books, a division of Hearst. She quickly demonstrated a skill for not only selling books but identifying potential bestsellers. Upper management recognized her potential, moving her to Chicago, where she covered major accounts in the Midwest. She became a regional manager and won the respect of those reporting to her almost immediately. After three years in the Midwest, she transferred to New England as a regional manager. In the fall of 1978, she and another book rep, Michel Spitzer, met while waiting for their respective appointments with the owner of the Ben Franklin Bookstore in Worcester, Massachusetts. They later confirmed that they knew instantly their interest in one another was more than a flirtation. Five years later, in 1982, they married at Anne’s childhood home. Michel was 13 years older, divorced, and had two children, Geoff and Kate, and Anne was struck by his devotion to them. Five years later, in 1987, Anne was able to appreciate and experience that devotion when she gave birth to Henry Francis Spitzer, a son who would become the center of her life. Henry grew up to be exactly the kind of principled and compassionate person that she was, and there was nothing she wouldn’t do for him to keep him on the right track. Henry met the love of his life, Marlene O’Hara, who was a student at Boston Latin while he was attending BC High. Marlene and Anne became fast friends. Henry and Marlene married in 2014 and welcomed their first daughter, Camille Athena, into the world in 2019. Anne’s world was truly complete despite the diagnosis of cancer in 2020. She never let cancer get between her and her Millie. Anne’s love grew further when Henry and Marlene welcomed their second daughter, Vivienne Ines Spitzer, in 2021. Throughout her professional career, first in the book business and then as an events coordinator and fundraiser for two local independent schools, Anne gained the love and respect of her co-workers for her willingness to do the heavy lifting. Her family, friends, and neighbors sought her out regularly for solid, caring, and helpful advice. Anne had an ability to instantly connect with people on a deep level. She was always considerate of those with less or in distress, and her full and charitable heart compelled her to help them. Anne had a keen eye for design and would not hesitate to offer ideas to her friends if asked. She would even change your living room around and transform it into something more comfortable and pleasing to the eye, but only if asked. She loved music, singing with her family, especially her sisters and brothers and cousins at their many gatherings. She loved her family and was an intrepid matriarch, leading the charge for family vacations, gatherings, and the annual Christmas Eve party for the extended family with her signature flair and biting sense of humor. She was a deeply devoted daughter and principal caretaker for her parents in their final years. She was a beloved auntie to her nieces and nephews, and to them she was brilliant, often outrageous, and so kind. She traveled in style and was able to enjoy trips to Ireland, France, Spain, Portugal, and Canada. Anne died on Wednesday, July 28, after valiantly fighting what is one of the most difficult of cancers. She would be the first to acknowledge her sister Janet and niece Nelly for their extraordinary love, care, and comfort during the most difficult stage of her disease in the final days. Along with Michel, Henry, Marlene, Millie, Vivienne, Geoff, and Kate, she leaves her adoring siblings and their spouses, eight nieces, six nephews, and an enormous network of friends and relatives who were there to support her and remind her how much she meant to them. As one close friend put it, “she was remarkable and bigger than life.”




Jonelle Forte, of Las Vegas, Nevada, on March 13, 2021.


Jonelle went “Back to the Stars.” Born on July 10, 1975, in Las Vegas, she attended Cimarron High School and Scripps College. She lived in Venice, California, with her husband and children. Her career was in the motion picture industry in international marketing. Jonelle fought a courageous battle with adrenal cell cancer. She was preceded in death by her father, Duane Forte. Jonelle is survived by her husband, David Rothenberg; daughters Ava and Emmylou; mother, Joyce Forte; siblings Dana Forte (John) and Dewey Forte (Jill); nieces and nephews Kayla, Jake, John, Blake, Nick, Brock, and Hailey; and many cousins.






Jackson Finberg, of Portland, Maine, on February 4, 2021.


Eliana Malka, who also went by the names Elli Rose and Jackson “Jax” Rose, died on February 4, 2021, in Portland, Oregon. They were 24. Eliana was born on April 1, 1996, in Portland, Maine. From a young age, they pursued passions with determination and an artistic flare. Though they excelled in academics, they especially loved the arts, playing piano, violin, and flute in school, all while being active in theater. In addition to being a voracious reader, they found comfort and enjoyment in photography, painting, writing, and experimenting in a variety of artistic endeavors. They attended Camp Ramah in Palmer, Massachusetts, for many summers and thought of it as a home away from home, a respite of sorts from life in Portland and a place where lifelong friendships were made. A 2014 graduate of Portland High School, Eliana served as the co-editor in chief of the school’s newspaper as well as co-president of Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD). They spent a year at Scripps College, exploring gender and sexuality studies as well as TV and film production. They later obtained a pastry certification from The French Pastry School in Chicago, and then moved to Portland, Oregon, where they created beautiful pastries and cakes at several local bakeries, including Lauretta Jean’s Pie, Farina Bakery, and most recently Little T American. They enjoyed selling their art locally and online and worked at Collage PDX until the start of the pandemic. They also worked briefly at Boys & Girls Aid as a youth care counselor, where they previously volunteered. In the fall of 2020, while working full-time, Elli returned to school, enrolling in Portland Community College to study library science. Elli, who recently chose to be called Jackson, cared deeply for other people—often those at the margins of society and especially the LGBTQ+ community. They also deeply valued friendships and often expressed how fortunate they were to have close friends in both Portlands who provided immeasurable emotional support. They credited friendships with providing the sustenance to keep trying to navigate the challenges brought on by mental illness. Their family is forever grateful to all who supported and loved this beautiful young spirit. They encourage others who are struggling to please reach out for help (https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/). To prevent suicide, we need to be able to talk about it openly without fear or shame. They are predeceased by a younger brother, Ezra, and paternal grandfather, Norman Buddy Finberg. They are survived by their mother and stepfather, Amy Rolnick and John Williamson; father, Rick Finberg; brother, Noah Finberg; stepsiblings Tim Williamson, Jennifer Braziel and Laura Williamson; paternal grandmother, Nancy Finberg, and maternal grandparents, Michael and Louise Rolnick; and aunts, uncles, and cousins who all loved them dearly. They also left behind their beloved cat, Peaches, and many loving friends.



Families, Faculty, and Friends


Professor Emerita Sara Maria Adler, of Washington, DC, on June 21, 2021.


Adler passed away peacefully on June 21, 2021, while asleep at her residence, from complications of the motor neuron disease ALS, which struck her over four years ago. She is survived by her spouse of 48 years, Robert L. Adler, their son, Joe, and his wife, Carrie, of Silver Spring, Maryland, their daughter, Caroline, and her husband Tristan of Washington, DC, their four grandchildren, Ben, Penny, Liana, and Halle, and Sara’s brother and his wife, Max Pizer and Claudia Bonn of New York City.


Scripps College Professor Emerita, Adler led the teaching of Italian studies at The Claremont Colleges for more than 40 years before retiring in 2018. An endowed professorship of Italian was subsequently created in her name. Before moving to California and teaching at Scripps, Professor Adler taught Italian at Georgetown, Wellesley, and Harvard. Her academic interests centered around Italian fiction of the twentieth century and women poets of the Italian Renaissance. She authored the book Calvino: The Writer as Fablemaker and a number of peer-reviewed articles and papers in her fields of interest. Professor Adler was a former member of the board of trustees of The Webb Schools in Claremont and of a Board advisory committee of Scripps College. Professor Adler was a graduate of Smith College and was awarded a PhD from Harvard University in 1975. She was born to Morris and Laura Pizer on September 14, 1946, and grew up in Malden and Cambridge, Massachusetts.


Professor Adler loved people, and they loved her. Her greatest joys were from being with her children and grandchildren, from loving her husband, family, and friends, and from seeing her students blossom and mature and her colleagues succeed. She was full of good humor and fine taste to the end, was quick to appreciate the ironies of life, and had empathy for the challenges it presents. She braved the agony of ALS with the heart of someone determined to continue to experience the pleasures of life with dignity and grace, to count the blessings she still had, and to spread joy and shun sorrow. Those who loved her could learn from her both inside and outside the classroom. She was beautiful and exemplary and will always be remembered as such.


Anne Fuller, of Albuquerque, New Mexico, on May 22, 2021.


Anne Fuller passed away in the morning hours of May 22, 2021, at the age of 89. She is survived by her brother, Thomas Havens, her daughter, Kate Niles, her son, Peter Fuller, and her grandchildren, Sarah Fuller, Nicholas Fuller, and Christopher Niles. Anne was born in 1932 in Pomona, California, and lived her first four years in nearby Claremont, California, where her father, Paul Havens, taught literature at Scripps College. In 1936, Paul moved his family to Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, where he had accepted a post as president of Wilson College. After graduating magna cum laude with a BA in English literature from Mount Holyoke College in Massachusetts in 1953, Anne was awarded a Fulbright grant and so boarded a ship bound for Oxford, England, where she earned the equivalent of an MA in English language and literature from Oxford’s Somerville College. Anne then completed a PhD in English language and literature in 1958 at Yale University. Anne taught for two years at her alma mater, Mount Holyoke, and then accepted a comparable position at Pomona College, in Claremont, California, returning thus to her birthplace. She met PhD chemist Martin Fuller at Pomona, and the two were married at St. Ambrose Episcopal Church in Claremont on June 17, 1961. Kate and Peter followed soon after, in 1962 and 1963. Anne then taught at the University of Florida, the University of Denver, Prescott College in Arizona, the Colorado Rocky Mountain Prep School, and again at the University of Denver. In 1973, she accepted the dean of faculty position at Scripps College. Anne later worked at Claremont Graduate University as assistant to the president, then moved to Sherman, Texas, where she took on the dean of faculty role at Austin College. Anne was a gifted teacher who read voraciously and loved to learn. She instilled in her students a deep respect for English and other languages and cultures and their respective histories, as well as a love of Chaucer and other Medieval literature, and Old English, including Beowulf. In 1996, Anne and Martin retired to Albuquerque, New Mexico. Martin passed away in 2007, and in 2014, Anne moved to La Vida Llena Life Plan Community, where she led an active life. She swam every morning well into her 80s and continued to involve herself in book clubs and to share her love of literature and learning with her friends and neighbors. She will be missed by many.



Tracy Denison Galla, P’18, P’22, of Novato, California, on July 26, 2021.


Tracy Galla passed away just short of her 59th birthday in the arms of her beloved husband of nearly 30 years, Leonard Galla, at the Novato Community Hospital near their home in California. She had suffered for many years the progressive and cruel deterioration of multiple sclerosis without complaint and with a full and giving heart that warmed all in her orbit. Tracy leaves behind two beautiful daughters, Taylor (25) of Minneapolis and Claire (22), a student at Scripps College, her devoted husband, Leonard, her dear sisters, Heather and Dolly, and their families, her devastated parents, Barbara and George Denison, and her amazing friend and caregiver Luisa Villasenor, not to mention countless friends who knew and loved her.


Richard Harza, of Evanston, Illinois, on June 21, 2019.


Richard D. Harza, 95, of Evanston, was the beloved husband of Dorothy Harza, née Goettsch; loving father of the late Laura and John Harza; fond brother of the late Arthur (late Josephine) Hoffman; and caring uncle of Araminta (Robert) Schnack, Charles (Jane) Hoffman, and Susanne (William) King. Richard earned an engineering degree from Northwestern University and a PhD from the University of Wisconsin. He thought like an inventor. His many patents included a highway paving slab design and a continuous body motion seating device that is used in BMW cars. He served in the US Navy in World War II on the USS Prince William (CVE 31). After serving, he worked with Harza Engineering Company, with projects in 25 countries and in the US. He was in charge of concept, planning, design, and on-site quality control of Chicago’s Deep Tunnel Plan, the world’s largest urban storm drainage tunnel system. It provides pollution control for Lake Michigan, the source of Chicago’s water supply.


Charles John Mitchell, of Vermont, on August 5, 2017. 


John was born on Christmas Day in 1932 to James Stuart Mitchell and Francis (Saddington) Mitchell. John was a graduate of Westdale Secondary School in Hamilton, Ontario, and the University of Western Ontario’s School of Business (1956). His career in marketing took him from Montreal to London and then to New York City, where he enjoyed success as an executive with Clairol, followed by many years as an independent and successful marketing consultant. He met Nancy at a pool party on Long Island in 1962, and they married in May 1963. They raised their family in Stamford, Connecticut, amid a myriad of pets: dogs, cats, rabbits, geese, peacocks, two memorable parrots, a horse, and even a goat. John loved all animals, but his dogs were special. Several of John’s friends commented over the years that if they were to be reincarnated, they would like to come back as one of John’s dogs. In 2000, he and Nancy retired to Alder Meadow Farm in central Vermont. John was a complicated, intelligent, and deeply caring man with a quick intellect, dry sense of humor, and, on occasion, sharp temper. He held himself and others to a very high standard. He cared deeply about his family and community and saw hard work, good table manners, and giving back as requirements of a worthy and respectable life. He passed all these qualities to his children, along with his square jaw and fierce sense of determination and independence. While reserved most of the time, he loved a good joke, evenings with small groups of friends, and long walks through fields or woods with his dogs. John loved his life in the US, even becoming a citizen in 2002, but he never forgot his Canadian roots. Spending time on Lake Muskoka in Ontario with the family was among his greatest joys.


Kevin Watkins, of Smoke Rise, Georgia, on May 31, 2021.


Kevin was born in Wichita, Kansas, on August 22, 1975, to Bradford Watkins and Gloria (Bolles) Watkins. He graduated from Berean Academy in Elbing, Kansas and went on to earn a BS in computer science and mathematics from Harvey Mudd College in Claremont, California, and an MS in computer science from Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. After graduate school, he worked at QVT Financial in New York and retired in July of 2017. Kevin’s lifelong love of learning manifested in a wide range of hobbies, from personal computer programming projects to 3D printing to custom microchip design to a stack of advanced math books at his bedside. Kevin was the “restaurant picker” for his family, and they will miss experiencing his culinary finds. After his retirement, Kevin used his routing and planning abilities to chart out and lead cross-country family road trips to visit friends and family, from Boston to Wichita to Santa Fe to San Diego and many, many places in between, creating wonderful memories for his children. More recently, his prodigious research and analytical skills were used successfully to keep his family safe and healthy during the COVID-19 pandemic, and they are grateful for the efforts he made to protect them. He is survived by his wife, Sarah (Bellingrath) Watkins, his children, Elizabeth and Jonathan, his parents, Bradford Watkins and Gloria (Bolles) Watkins of Wichita, Kansas, his brother, Jason Watkins of Portland, Oregon, his aunt, Joan (Jack) Keely of Santa Fe, New Mexico, and his uncle Larry (Sarah) Bolles.